Opening hours and entrance fees
- Mondays to Sundays: 10:00 – 17:00
- The museum will be open on: Easter, 5 May, Ascension Day, Whitsun, Boxing Day (26 December) and 31 December
- Closed on: 27 April, 3 October, 25 December and 1 January
During the exhibition Gods of Egypt (until 31 March 2019), the museum is open 7 days a week.
- Adults: € 12,50
- Dutch ‘Museum Card’: free
- BankGiro Lottery VIP Card, ICOM Card holders, members Rembrandt Association, RoMeO-members: free
- Children until 5 years: free
- Children 5 to 17 years: € 4
- Family budget ticket: € 29 (2 adults + 2 children 5-17 years¹)
- CJP card holders 18+: € 6
- CJP card holders 18-: € 3
¹ 4 per extra child
You can pay at the cash desk with various bank and credit cards (VISA and Mastercard). We do not accept American Express credit cards.
Guided tours and group visits
- Guided tours: € 75 per hour (on Sundays € 90 per hour), max. 25 persons, reservation required: please call (+31) (0)71 – 5163 163.
- Group visit: from 18 years € 2 discount p.p., min. 10 persons, reservation required: please call (+31) (0)71 – 5163 163.
Address and route
- Street address: Rapenburg 28, 2311 EW Leiden
- Mailing address: P.O. Box 11114, 2301 EC Leiden
- Adress library: Papengracht 30,2311 TX Leiden (opening hours)
- Service and information: phone: (+31) (0)71 – 5163 163, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finding your way in the museum building
In the museum building, you can use your smartphone to find your way using GPS with Indoor Google Maps. To do this, you will need to have the Google Maps app on your smartphone. Navigation then works automatically. There is free Wi-Fi in the museum.
- For visitors who do not have a smartphone: every visitor is offered a free museum map with the entrance ticket.
Walking from Leiden Central Station
The National Museum of Antiquities is in Leidens historic centre, just a ten-minute walk away from Leiden Centraal railway station.
- Plan your railway journey on the Dutch Railways website.
Taking the bus from Leidens Central Station
The bus stop closest to the National Museum of Antiquities is the Breestraat stop in the city centre. Many bus lines (2, 4, 45, 169, 182, 187, 400) go from Leiden Centraal railway station to the Breestraat stop. It is a short bus trip, approximately four minutes.
Buses and coaches
The best parking option for buses and coaches is the Haagweg parking lot. Please be aware that in the Leiden city centre, driving or parking a bus for any length of time is prohibited.
Travelling to Leiden by car
Leiden is easy to reach by car, but the old centre has narrow streets, and parking is difficult. We advice you to go to the Haagweg parking lot, with a free shuttle to the city centre.
- View and download the driving route to the National Museum of Antiquities.
Parking in the Haagweg lot
Only paid parking is available around the museum (Rapenburg 28), and the number of parking places is limited. We therefore recommend that you park your car in the nearby Haagweg lot (in Dutch only). This is Leidens largest parking lot, with 750 places and a free shuttle to the museum every few minutes. You can also call for free shuttle transport back to the lot: +31 (0)71 512 0071.
- For an overview of all parking options in Leiden, see the City of Leiden’s online parking guide.
In the museum
Wifi in the museum
Free wifi is available in the museum building.
Photographs in the museum
It is allowed (without flash and tripod) to take photographs in the museum.
Wheelchairs and partially sighted persons
- At the reception desk, you can request a wheelchair. For the use of it, we ask a € 2 deposit. When returning the chair, you get this refunded. For all wheelchairs a companion is necessary.
- Wheelchair users: in front of the museum building, at the Rapenburg, there is one parking place for visitors holding an official parking license for the disabled. In the museum you can use an elevator.
- Partially sighted persons are allowed to take their guide-dogs. The museum’s staff are always willing to help you find your way. For more information, please call (+31) (0)71 – 5163 163 or mail to email@example.com.