Reconstructing Interactions and Mobility in Prehistoric Cyprus
This symposium, organised in the framework of the exhibition Cyprus: A Dynamic Island, focusses on the reconstruction of interactions and mobility within and beyond Cyprus in prehistory, between about 10.000 and 1200 BCE. This symposium brings together scholars dealing with various periods and diverse approaches to the material culture of prehistoric Cyprus, in an attempt to shed new light on the nature and intensity of contacts between communities within and beyond Cyprus from the Neolithic up to end of Bronze Age. The aim is to reconstruct the social and economic interactions during these nine millennia of Cypriot history.
- date: Friday 24 January 2020
- time: 13:00 – 18:00 (room open from 12:30)
- location: Leemanszaal, National Museum of Antiquities (address and route)
- admission: free (excl. museum entrance) | please register in advance
The symposium is open to everyone, and has been organised by Dr. Bleda S. Düring and Maria Hadjigavriel (Leiden University).
- 13:00 – 13:40 Dr. Bleda S. Düring, Associate Professor Leiden University
Movement and Interaction in Prehistoric Cyprus: Data and Paradigms (read more)
- 13:40 – 14:20 Dr. Theodora Moutsiou, Postdoctoral Researcher University of Cyprus.
Reconstructing the Social Landscape of Aceramic Neolithic Cyprus through the Movement of Exotic Raw Materials (read more)
- 14:20 – 15:00 Dr. Diane Bolger, Honorary Fellow University of Edinburgh.
‘Mobility, Encounter and Flux’: Cyprus and the Eastern Mediterranean during the Middle and Late Chalcolithic Periods (read more)
- 15:00 – 15:15 Coffee Break
- 15:15 – 15:55 Maria Hadjigavriel, PhD Candidate Leiden University
Tracing Interactions through Pottery Technology Studies in Late Chalcolithic Cyprus (read more)
- 15:55 – 16:35 Rafael Laoutari, PhD Candidate University of Cambridge
Interactions and Society in Prehistoric Bronze Age Cyprus through the Eyes of the Community at Bellapais-Vounous (read more)
- 16:35 – 16:50 Discussion
- 16:50 – 18:00 Drinks
Send the form below to register for this book presentation. You can only enter 1 person per registration. Do you want to register another person? Then refresh the page and fill in the form again for that person.