Secondary school students
What can you expect?
Fabulous Finds will start with a brief interactive guided tour around the Greek galleries of the museum. The students will be invited to answer a number of questions about what they see, which will encourage them to think critically about how we acquire our information about the pas. Where does our Greek collection come from? What can the different vases teach us about the past? What kind of ‘journey’ do the objects go on before they are exhibited in the museum? The students will conduct their own research as they try to answer the questions.
In the second part of the workshop, the students will imagine themselves archaeologists. By studying shards that are many centuries old and carrying out research assignments, they will learn more about the context and stories behind the shards. In addition, the students will analyse and reconstruct images and patterns. Will they be able to reconstruct an entire vase from just a few shards? At the end of the workshop the students will present their findings.
- This workshop can be conducted at the museum or at school through the programme Museum teacher in the classroom (in Dutch).
- Encouraging students to look at, explore, and study actual archaeological finds, representing thousands of years of history;
- Showing students that ancient objects are connected to real people and real lives;
- To introduce pupils to the world of archaeology;
- To introduce pupils to the role of a museum in society;
- To enable pupils to gain experience with the critical use of sources in a museum environment.
One hour and 15 minutes
€ 90 per workshop (max. 30 students)
Book a workshop
- You can book a Fabulous Finds workshop in one of four time slots: 9:00 – 10:15 / 11:00 – 12:15 / 13:00 – 14:15 / 15:00 – 16:15.
- Please call our service desk to book a museum lesson: 071–516 3163
- or book online (in Dutch).
Preparing for the workshop
- Divide the students into twos, with one group of three if necessary
- Discuss with the class:
-What are we going to do?
-Why are we going to do it? (showing its significance)
-What we want to achieve? (teacher(s) and students)
For more information, send a mail to email@example.com.
Come to the museum for a trial visit, free of charge!
Do you want to have a look at the National Museum of Antiquities before deciding whether it is a suitable place to take your class? No problem! Fill in the coupon below entitling you to admission free of charge and hand it in at the desk in the museum: you will receive a free admission ticket. (The coupon is valid until 31 August 2021.)
Sign up for our newsletter
Stay informed and sign up for our email newsletter: