Primary school pupils
Free of charge
What can you expect?
With a pile of shards that are many centuries old, a museum teacher, and an intriguing assignment, your pupils will get to grips with working as archaeologists. The first part of the workshop consists of a brief introductory guided tour. During this interactive tour they will be introduced to the museum’s most beautiful Greek vases. They will discover what one tiny shard has to tell us and they will conduct their own research into the similarities and differences between different vases. In the second part of the workshop, the pupils will discover that archaeology involves more than just digging objects out of the ground. They will draw a shard, identify the material it’s made of and establish how old it is.
- To show pupils real archaeological finds, which represent thousands of years of history, and to encourage them to examine and explore them;
- To show pupils that ancient objects are connected to real people and real lives;
- To introduce pupils to the world of archaeology;
- To introduce pupils to the role of a museum in society;
- To enable pupils to gain experience with the critical use of sources in a museum environment.
One hour and fifteen minutes
Book your workshop
You can book the museum lesson Fabulous Finds in one of four time slots: 9:00 – 10:15 / 11:00 – 12:15 / 13:00 – 14:15 / 15:00 – 16:15.
- Please call our service desk to book a museum lesson: 071 – 516 3163
Preparing the class for your visit
- Discuss the purpose of the museum visit.
- Divide the class into groups of two pupils.
- The group should be accompanied by at least three adults; more adults are welcome (no charge). The adults accompanying the children will have an active support role in the museum; explain this to them.
For more information, see email@example.com.
Come to the museum for a trial visit, free of charge!
Do you want to have a look at the National Museum of Antiquities before deciding whether it is a suitable place to take your class? No problem! Fill in the coupon below entitling you to admission free of charge and hand it in at the desk in the museum: you will receive a free admission ticket. (The coupon is valid until 31 August 2021.)
Sign up for our newsletter
Stay informed and sign up for our email newsletter: