tel: +31 (0)71 5163 152
fax: +31 (0)71 5149 941
send an e-mail
Renske Dooijes (1973) studied Mediterranean Archaeology at the University of Amsterdam. In 2000, she received her degree with a study into antique repairs of pottery, marble and bronze. She then followed the programme to become a restorer at the Netherlands Institute for Cultural Heritage in Amsterdam with a focus on ceramics and glass. She finished this programme in 2005 with a final study into the cleaning of plaster casts. In recent years she has been often involved in the archaeological fieldwork in Greece, Turkey and Syria, where she was responsible as restorer for field preservation in general and in particular in the restoration of low-fired prehistoric pottery and the production of moulds.
Besides her work as restorer (both at the museum and in her own company), Renske does research into the history of restoration. She is particularly interested in the techniques and (social) significance of antique restorations to archaeological objects. Another research project focuses on restorations (particularly) from the 19th century that occur often with objects from the museum's own collection. Her attention is focused on international development of the field and on ethnic ideas of restoration throughout history. The perception of antiquity in the 19th century and the way in which this influenced the performance of restorations was also studied.
- Restoration of ceramics and glass in general
- Restoration of unfired and low-fired (prehistoric) pottery
- Archaeological field preservation
- Restoration and preservation of plaster casts
- History of restoration and restoration techniques
Key research projects
- The cleaning of plaster casts
- History of restoration and restoration techniques
- Brilliant glass (2006)
- Jebel Aruda (2007)
- Models of Beauty, masterpieces in plaster (2008)
- Terracotta (2009)
- Archaeology the Netherlands (2011)
Major restoration and installation projects were connected to all these exhibitions.
- Dooijes, R. en Megens, L., "Historical restorations in the National Museum of Antiquities, Leiden, The Netherlands", extended abstract of poster presentation , in: Roemich (ed.), Glass and ceramics conservation 2010, Interim Meeting of the ICOM-CC Working Group , October 3-6, 2010 , Corning, New York, U.S.A. 2010.
- Burghout, F., Dooijes, R., Joosten, I., Megens, L., Tagle de, A., "Conservation of plaster casts", extended abstract of poster presentation in: Roemich (ed.), Glass and ceramics conservation 2010, Interim Meeting of the ICOM-CC Working Group , October 3-6, 2010 , Corning, New York, U.S.A. 2010.
- Dooijes, R., Terracotta at the National Museum of Antiquities. The conservation of a figurine of Aphrodite, in : Van As, A. (ed.), Leiden Journal of Pottery Studies (LJPS) 25-2009.
- Dooijes, R., & Nieuwenhuyse, O.P., Ancient repairs in archaeological research; a Near Eastern perspective, in: Ambers, J., Higgitt, C., Harrison, L., Saunders, D., (eds.), Holding it all together, Ancient and Modern Approaches to Joining, Repair and Consolidation, Archetype Books, London, 2009 (8-13).
- Nieuwenhuyse, O.P., & Dooijes, R., A new life for old pots. Early pottery repairs from 7th millennium Tell Sabi Abyad (northern Syria), in: Van As, A. (ed.), Leiden Journal of Pottery Studies, Volume 24-2008 (159-170).
- Dooijes, R., Melkpotten, 9000 jaren jong. Restauratie van het oudste aardewerk uit Syrië., in: Keramika 2008-4 (28-34).
- R. Dooijes & F. Burghout& M. Düring & O.P. Nieuwenhuyse, Restorations on the Late Uruk Pottery from Jebel Aruda - old and new, in: Leiden Journal of Pottery Studies Volume 23-2007 (61-77), Faculty of Archaeology/Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- R. Dooijes, Keeping alive the history of restoration: nineteenth century repairs on Greek ceramics from the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden, in: ICOM Glass and Ceramics Conservation 2007, Interim eeting of the ICOM-CC Working Group, August 27-30, 2007, Nova Gorica, Slovenia, 2007 (ed. Lisa Pilosi), 103-112.
- R. Dooijes & O.P. Nieuwenhuyse, Ancient Repairs: Techniques and Social Meaning, in: Konservieren oder restaurieren, die Restaurierung griechischer Vasen von der Antike bis heute, in: 3rd suppl. to the CVA Germany (ed. Beck Publishers Munich), 2007.
- R.B. Halbertsma, R. Dooijes, L. Jacobs, A. van As, A white-ground lekythos from the Netherlands National Museum of Antiquities: the acquisition, conservation and experimental reconstruction of the manufacturing technique (in: Leiden Journal of Pottery Studies Volume 21-2005, Faculty of Archaeology/Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- Dooijes, R., Summary of the Colloquium "Konservieren oder restaurieren? Restaurierung griechischer Keramik von der Antike bis Heute". - "To Conserve or Restore? Restoration of Greek Ceramics from ancient times until the present day", in: Newsletter of the ICOM Committee for Conservation, Issue 15, Winter 2006-7, Working Group "Glass and Ceramics", ICOM 2006 (ed. L. Pilosi).
- R. Dooijes, "Local Colour, Painted Ancient Sculpture from East to West", Allard Pierson Museum, Amsterdam, 27 March 2006, in: Newsletter of the ICOM Committee for Conservation, Issue 14, Summer 2006, Working Group "Glass and Ceramics", ICOM 2006 (ed. L. Pilosi).
- R. Dooijes, De reiniging van gipsafgietsels, afstudeeronderzoek in het kader van de opleiding tot restaurator van keramiek en glas aan het ICN te Amsterdam, juni 2005.
- R. Dooijes, Restaureren in de steppe, in: FOSA (Friends of Sabi Abyad), Nieuwsbrief 1/2005, March 2005.
- R. Dooijes, Restauratie in Oudheden: glas, RoMeO XVI, National Museum of Antiquities, Leiden, najaar 2003.
- R. Dooijes, Antieke reparaties , technieken toegepast op marmer, brons en aardewerk, afstudeeronderzoek Mediterrane Archeologie, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, September 2000.
- R. Dooijes, Restauraties in Syrië, RoMeO IX, National Museum of Antiquities, Leiden, Spring 2000.
- R. Dooijes, Ancient repairs on bronzes, in: Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop, Experimental and Educational aspects of Bronze Metallurgy, Wilhelminaoord, 18-22 October 1999, 79-85.
- R. Dooijes, In restauro, RoMeO VII, Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, Leiden, Summer 1999.
- J.H. Crouwel, M. Prent, J. Vin, P. Lulof, R. Dooijes, Geraki, An acropolis site in Lakonia, Preliminary report on the fifth season, in: PHAROS VII, 1999.
- Burghout, F., Dooijes, R., Düring, M. & Van der Zon, T., Archeologie van Nederland: Restauratoren aan het werk, in: Westerheem 60/5, October 2011 (219-231).
Recent conferences and lectures
- 28 -29/03/2011 Participation in the Masterclass "Conservation Treatment: Who Decides?", by Barbara Appelbaum).
- 29/01/2010 Lecture o the history and meaning of ceramic repairs (upon invitation by Prof. G. Eggert, Staatliche Akademie für Bildende Kunsten, Stuttgart.
- 18/02/2010 Lecture on the history of ceramic repairs (upon invitation) on the conference "History of conservation", organized by Prof. F. Grijzenhout, University of Amsterdam.
- 21-22/02/2008 Participation in the conference "Holding it all together", hosted by the British Museum (London), with a poster on "Ancient repairs in archaeological research, a Near Eastern perspective".
- 27-31/08/2007 Participation in ICOM-CC conference Slovenia with a lecture on 19th century restorations on the Greek pottery collection of the National Museum of Antiquities ("Keeping alive the history of restoration: nineteenth century repairs on Greek ceramics from the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden").
- 09/11/2007 Lecture on antique repairs at the University of Aarhus, Denmark (upon invitation).
- 17-19/11/2006 Participation in the conference "Konservieren oder restaurieren? Restaurierung griechischer Keramik von der Antike bis Heute". Lecture on ancient repairs ("Ancient Repairs: Techniques and Social Meaning"). Hosted by CVA Germany, in cooperation with the Antikensammlung Berlin (organisers: Martin Bentz and Ursula Kästner).