Night of the Violin
31 May 2014
Saturday May 31st the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, the National Museum of Antiquities, organises the third Night of the Violin (De Nacht van de Viool). Until after midnight a selection of international top-violinists celebrate the richness of the violin with more than 40 concerts amidst the glorious museum collection.
International top-violinists play in the museum
Artistic director Joan Berkhemer composed a program with music from Romania, Arab countries and Argentina, selected from three hundred years of Western music-history, and music from the Middle Ages. Main guest will be the German master-violinist Daniel Röhn. Host of the evening will be Edmond Fokker van Crayestein performing both as a host, interviewer, and violinist.
- Museumdoors will open at 18.30 hrs.
- Admission € 30 per person, available online via this webite (in Dutch only) or at the museum ticket office.
Violin music between ancient Eyptian statues
The Night of the Violin parades many different forms of violin music. Surprisingly not in a concert hall but in between ancient Egyptian statues and amidst portraits of Roman Emperors in the magnificent museum collection. Dozens of great violinists perform wide-ranging and surprising violin music. Amongst them well-known names as:
- Daniel Röhn
- Dutch grand-masters Joan Berkhemer and Jeroen de Groot
- top-soloists as Sjaan Oomen
- Maria Milstein
- Marlene Hemmer
They will be alternated with young talent, and will play music ranging from Medieval times to Bach and Vivaldi, and from Romanian to jazz and tango.
Come and leave at any chosen time
The Night of the Violin takes place between 19.00 and 01.00 hrs, but you can come and leave at any chosen time. The museum café is open all night and will be serving sushi, various finger food and drinks.
- Date: Saturday 31 May 2014
- Tijme: 19.00 hrs. until after midnight (doors open at 18.30 hrs)
- Location: Rijksmuseum van Oudheden (address and route)
- Admission: € 30 (buy tickets online (in Dutch only) or or at the museum ticket office)
- Students and CJP-owners: € 20
- Youth under 18: free admission
All-inclusive package restaurant 'Het Prentenkabinet'
Restaurant Het Prentenkabinet offers an all-inclusive package for € 47,50 per person, including admission to ‘The Night of the Violin’ and a two-course meal in one of Leiden’s finest dining establishments.
The Night of the Violin is part of the Signatures Culture-Weeks Leiden (May 17- June 9 2014), with the joint support of Rabobank Leiden, Cultuurfonds Leiden and De Clerq Advocaten-Notarissen.